Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mind Games by Kiersten White

Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)Synopsis
"Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future.

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost"


Title: Mind Games
Series: Mind Games #1
Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 237
Ages: 13-16 more or less
Date I Finished: May 19th, 2013
Rating: 3 Stars
My Word: Had the Potential (I say that a lot in this review haha)


Review
This book.....I have very different feelings for each part of it. Okay, let's start with the good. The plot idea was very intriguing and Kiersten White had so much potential to make this story as great as it could be, but after reading it, there was so much that just could've been way better. Knowing that this book had so much potential that went to waste, I felt like this in the end: description
and then: description
and then I went a little crazy: description

But, aside from my feels of the plot, let's move to the format. The flashbacks, although a cool idea, got me so confused with the random dates like: "6 months ago", "10 years ago", "2 months ago", "2 years ago", "Tuesday morning". I was like "What? What part am I on?". I had no recollection of reading that part until I realized it was yet another random flashback.

Annie was the only character that I thought was fine in the story. James was such a douche, though and he even told Fia that he was using her, and she felt that it was wrong being with him (knowing her talent of having exactly right natural instincts, she would listen to her gut feeling), yet she ignored it. Also, I thought Adam would have a generous role throughout the plot, but he only came back in the end, and stupid Fia made the stupid decision during the end. And I know she was saying that James knows everything about her, yet he doesn't care, and Adam deserves better because he doesn't know, but it still doesn't cut it! I need more information about that whole ending please thanks.

Speaking of the ending... What?! I did not understand the ending for the life of me. The first part of the ending was pretty clear to me and I thought it would end like that, until James said that he understood what she did and they started to smile. What?! I thought what she did was done and that was that, but no she actually DIDN'T do what she did and no reader knows how she made that happen. Oh my gosh even me explaining it is hard to do!

Anyway, this story gets 3 stars, partially because of the impressive background idea (despite the fact that it went to waste), and also this quote that was on the right inside flap of the hardcover edition. I thought the book would have great potential and some suspense it in when I read it, but the story failed to do so and left me confuse, annoyed, and frustrated that I was annoyed:
"James's frozen face melts into a smile. 'Do you want to know the trick to getting in trouble unde the watchful eye of a psychic?'
   I think of the nail-shut windows. I think of Clarice. I think of the two, the two, the two who are now zero. Tap tap. 'Yes, I absolutely do.'
   'Don't plan it. Don't even think about it. The second you get an inkling of what you could do, do it then. Never plan anything ahead of time. Always go on pure instinct."
    I smile. 'I think I can do that.'"

Yeah, so, sorry if this review didn't make sense. I was trying to not put any spoilers in :/. Also, I "x"ed out my first review so I had to rewrite this one!!
★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment